Saturday, May 1, 2010

TIDY YOUR ROOM KIDdO!

I'm at my mother's office again today. helping with her work.. typing something her exam paper - to be exact.

The article that I am doing is about TIDY YOUR ROOM NOW. (reeeaaaally interesting oke!, kene kat batang hidung sendiri) It's an article in which a psychologist talks about teenager's bedrooms. It's finger lickin' good punya article, coz it's on MY SIDE!

"As a psychologist, my view on teenagers’ bedrooms is quite straightforward. Personal space is very important in adolescence and privacy should be respected. If a teenager has his or her own room, then this space is for that teenager to arrange as his or he or she wishes. On no account should parents be tempted to tidy a teenager’s room. If arguments arise, patience and understanding are required on both sides."


yeah!!! It's true! profoundly true bebeh!!

look what a typical English teenager response was :

"Bedrooms are incredibly important when you’re a teenager. Everyone needs space, but at that time you need it most of all. I don’t mind Mum coming into my room as long as she knocks. The problem is that she goes round looking for things to put away and saying things like “Tidy room, tidy mind”. I told her I don’t want a tidy mind. She thinks it’s strange that although I’m hoping to study Interior Design at college, I don’t seem to bother about my own room at home. But what she fails to understand is that I like the mess. It’s interesting watching it grow, because it’s full of shapes and patterns. I like my mum but when she goes on at me about tidying my room, I just get more determined not to do anything about it. My advice to parents would be to leave their teenagers’ rooms till they are so bad that it’s impossible to walk in. Then the kids would have to tidy up.

I'm extremely ok with mess(only my bedroom), not the hall and dining table. my room is my property, myspace, myfacebook, my freindster... my eternal peace of mind. haha~!

i remember when i was in form 5, I locked the door before going to school coz I hate it when my bibik gets my room tidied up. I even warned her not to enter, coz i will clean it myelf, whenever I like. but she fails to act accordingly, she still enters my room, I mean.. she wants to!! whats wrong with her anyway? It's even easier for her not to, save your energy makcik! she will keep all my book neatly on the shelf, and I really hate that! I want my book all covering my table, i think it's even nicer, even easier to find them! and that's the last time i ever had one bedroom to myself.. dulu hingga kini dan untuk selamanye2, i have to share with my sisters... =P

not to forget when I was in UIA nilai, I'm glade that my roommates do not really care about the untidiness. even when i swept the floor,under my bed..there's this habuk2 all tingy wingie curly greyishly lying on the floor... and the things that I hardly know to whom it belongs until i throw it away? just guess how aften did i swept the floor? twice per semester? hahaha

the psychologist again:

"And of course, Tim is right. In my experience, teenagers left to live in their own mess will eventually reach the stage where they clean it up. We have to remember that this is an important period of experimentation for them and they need to make their own decisions about things. Parents’ anxiety never solves anything during this period and it can actually have the effect of making things worse."

ikhlas as a reader : let's have a date !


the mother's teenager said :

"I encourage Tim to clean up after himself when he was young and he was happy to do it then. But when he got older, he simply started to refuse. His room became a complete tip. He has lots of expensive designer clothes all thrown on the floor, along with waste paper, empty cans and leftovers of food he’d taken up there secretly. When I started being more insistent, I was very shocked by Tim’s response. He isn’t normally very rebellious but he just exploded, saying it was none of my business what he did in his room. When I tried to tidy it up myself, he just hit the roof, insisting that he wanted it like it was. After this, my husband, who is also horribly untidy, had a man-to-man chat with Tim about it. He didn’t get very far but he got a better reaction than me, which was irritating."

yeah, I felt like yelling whenever the topic is still on : tidy your room! apa nak jadi nie anak dara... huhu



No comments:

Post a Comment